Each applicant must be a composer/lyricist or composer/lyricist team wishing to create work for the musical theatre, and must not yet have achieved significant commercial success.
- Electronic files of up to four songs from one or more musical theatre pieces, with typewritten lyrics and a description of the dramatic context for each song (combined into one PDF for all songs); and
- A completed application form.
- All applications will be coded as they arrive. Because all submissions will be reviewed anonymously, please do not place name(s) of writer(s) on electronic file names, lyric sheets, or description of dramatic context. Names should only appear on the Application Form.
- MP3, ZIP, and M4A files are preferred, but Dropbox links will be acceptable as well. Dropbox files should not have time limits.
- Only musical theatre work will be considered.
- Please do not submit recordings with significant audience sound.
- The applicant(s) must have written all the songs included in the submission. For example, a composer cannot submit one song with her own lyrics, and a second song with lyrics by another writer.
- No individual may appear on more than one application. You cannot apply as an individual and again as part of a team, or as part of more than one songwriting team.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be accepted from June 1st – June 30th.
Please submit applications to:
The winner will be selected in November and will receive $60,000.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted.
Download the Ebb Award Application Instructions 2023.